Friday, May 24, 2013

Raised Beds



I've always loved gardening. When I was a Girl Guide I was the only person in my company to get the Gardeners badge. I've never really liked growing flowers though, apart from the forget-me-nots that I used to dig up from my grandma's garden and plant into yogurt pots and distribute around the garden and occasionally take home.

So in the spirit of "Getting Things Done" I inquired about getting an allotment. I found this was easy by just googling allotments and my council area. It gave me a form to fill in and email back to the council. Apparently the waiting time for me area is 2 years.

I decided more immediate action was required.

We are lucky to have a nice back garden at our house. Most of it laid to grass. So G and I started to make plans for some raised beds.

After research, we decided 12" was the right height to make the beds and decking wood was our material of choice as it had been treated to stop it rotting. The beds were also lined with plastic to stop them rotting even more.


G cut the wood and made them before putting them in place, but found that there was a patch of concrete under the grass so went to work with very noisy power tools to remove it. I ran off to the house as it was far too noisy, but he was having lots of fun destroying things with a power drill.

These are my very sad looking runner beans. I planted them a couple of days before we had a very windy storm. The wind and rain battered them so much. The top leaves are looking a bit more healthy now, but the bottom leaves have lots of marks on them.

I've also got radishes, spring onions, beetroot and carrots planted in the raised bed but no sign of life yet.


5 comments:

  1. Lovely! Hope you'll do follow up posts about this, I like gardening bits on blogs occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I'm going to have to do next year. lol this year we bought about $50 of seed packets only to find that our soil is too hard and full of tree roots to be tilled! And the planting season was pretty much over. So next year, raised beds it is. Maybe by then we will have the money for boards and plastic!

    Cheers,
    Christie aka Aurelas (Follow Me #12)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got fed up of running out of space each year and finally used the piece of lawn where the grass never grew properly. Turns out it was because it had concrete underneath the grass!

      Delete