Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Needle Felting Fun

So I decided to go to a needle felting course. It started with just me going but there was no-one else inspired enough to sign up so I asked my Mum if she wanted to come with me. And she did (Despite not really knowing what she was signing up for) Since my Dad was giving my Mum a lift there and back, it meant he would be hanging around for 2 hours whist we were there. So he came along too! Louise was lovely. It was her first time running the evening session but you couldn't tell. She showed us how to needle felt with a cookie cutter as a stencil, then how to work freeform needle felting, and then showed us a few different pieces that she had made herself. Totally inspired, I've been playing with the medium ever since and making it work for me in the way I wanted it to.

P1010815
Hand dyed Rylands fleece

P1010816
Needle felting supplies. (And empty wine glass. Hic!)

5
Circles felted using a cookie cutter as a pattern

5
Brooch

5
Headband

5 comments:

  1. Hi! GrammaG from swap-bot here! I had fun browsing your blog. I really like the brooch above a lot. I have been wanting to try needle felting, but haven't done it yet. After seeing your blog, I might get some wool and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I like the brooch. :)


    -- cfchai (Swap: Follow me #7)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of needle felting. Interesting!

    ~J3ss1ca (Swap-Bot)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh. It's fun to do. Basically you are felting the wool using a barbed hook which mats all the fibres together to turn it into felt.

      Delete